Why we need health care reform; please read

My father got very sick in 1997 with Encephalitis of the brain, our family almost went bankrupt because of the medical bills. He always worked VERY hard to support us, working long days as a construction worker, and working weekends making surfboards to maintain his true passion. He is the most hard working person I know, and he is where I got my own work ethic.

When my father got sick I was a senior in High School, I was the art teachers favorite and was being groomed for great possibilities, I wanted so badly to go to Cal Arts or the San Francisco Academy of Arts. We were fully covered by medical insurance through my father's construction job, at least we thought.

Once my dad got deathly ill, they ditched us and would not cover our expenses. My mom had to spend practically all of our savings, which was to help me attend the schools I wanted to go to.

It was fortunate that my father did recover. I didn't care at the time that we had no money for my college education, because I was so grateful that my father was well again, which is VERY rare for that Disease. I still think that he got better out of sheer willpower.

It was unfortunate that I could not get the best college education I could have at the time, because our medical insurance DID NOT support my family in our greatest time of need.

When I think back on it, I now realize how very unfair the whole situation was. PLEASE hold insurance companies accountable, we give them so much of our income, only to loose greatly in the end. It hurt not to have the money to follow my dreams, but it was a sacrifice that was necessary at the time.

Look at me now, here I'm 30 years old and I'm FINALLY getting the quality education I have always dreamed of. I've done quality graphic design work for every major newspaper in the state, I have WORKED my ass off for 7 years only with an Associates Degree. I have been given a great opportunity to re-invent myself as an animator again. I'm getting my second chance. But just imagine where I would have been if my college funds were there for me when I graduated in 1997!

For all those of you who doubt we need health care reform, think about my family's story, really think about it.  Put yourself in my shoes. Feel how that feels. In this the supposed greatest country on earth, where one man worked so hard to support his family on a carpenter' salary. Then REALLY review the full plan for Health Care reform, you will see that all the bullshit that makes you think Heath Care reform is a bad thing for America from the town halls and pundits on FOX news is not even mentioned.

See President Obama's full plan for health care reform, get the facts. And ask your representatives to support it.

See Obama's speech here

Aloha!